Happy Tuesday everyone! It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just days away and Christmas is right around the corner as well. Are you in the holiday spirit yet?
Sitting here, looking up recipes on Pinterest, I’m finally starting to get in the mood…sort of.
I’ll admit–I’m not a fan of winter in general; I hate the cold, I hate the snow and I hate the winter blues that always seem to roll around this time of year. On the plus side, though, when the temperatures drop, I find myself in the kitchen a lot more…usually huddled in front of the oven on those days when it’s cold and gloomy outside and the landlord still hasn’t turned on the heat for our building 😉
These spicy broccoli lentil cakes provide just the right amount of heat and spice for a cold winter day–or any day, really. They’re warm, flavorful and perfect when paired with rice or quinoa for an easy and nutritious lunch.
Plus, they make a great finger food if you’re entertaining guests. Throw a few of these yummy broccoli lentil cakes on a tray and serve up! Your guests (and their taste buds) will leave feeling totally impressed by your cooking prowess.
These tasty bites are also great for entertaining because they’re gluten-free and make a great source of protein for my fellow vegetarians. Lentils are jam-packed with protein and fiber, plus there are tons of other super nutritious ingredients in there as well.
Here are a few of the top nutritional highlights from this meal:
- Lentils: super high in protein and fiber, perfect for squashing cravings and keeping you full
- Broccoli: rich in many important vitamins and minerals, plus contains sulforaphane, a cancer-fighting compound
- Garlic: loaded with health-promoting properties and has been shown to boost heart health, ward off colds and even enhance brain health
- Red onion: contains allicin, the same active ingredient in garlic, which has been shown to help kill off cancer cells
- Nutritional yeast: high in protein and fiber, plus plenty of other nutrients often lacking in vegetarian diets, like vitamin B-12
- Chickpea flour: literally bursting with protein–it boasts 21 grams in every single cup!
Put all these tasty ingredients together and bam! A delicious meal that is equal parts delicious and super healthy.
Not a fan of burning your tastebuds? No problem! Just dial it back a bit–omit the jalapeño, leave out the sriracha sauce or play with the ratio of spices to fit your personal preference.
I like to make these pretty spicy and serve them with some cool and refreshing avocado cilantro dipping sauce. To me, the mix of flavors is just perfect.
Does your palate change between the seasons or am I just crazy? 😉 Do you have any foods that you love cooking in the winter? Leave me a comment and let me know!